The term “web design” refers to the process of planning, organizing and editing online content. On the surface, it seems like a pretty simple concept. However, the reality is that “web design” can change over time, under the influence of our perception of the “web”.
In 2022, a professional web designer may create custom websites from scratch, but he or she may be responsible for:
- UX Design: Creating elements focused on the user experience
- Application design: Build digital components of a website or online experience.
- Theme design: Create visual tools to supplement web design.
Web design is no longer about making an attractive site. The definition goes beyond the aesthetic to fully consider the functionality, performance and capabilities of the numerous assets with which we are associated in the digital world.
What is Web Design? The Definition today
Web design is the practice responsible for creating the overall look and feel of a web asset (such as web and mobile apps). It involves the planning and construction process of aspects of your project, from structure and layout options to graphics and presentation.
Web design has a variety of components that work together to create the ultimate “experience” of a website, including graphic design, interface design, user experience design, search engine optimization, content creation, and so on. These elements determine how a web asset looks, feels and feels. operates on various devices.
Although the definition of web design has evolved in 2022, it is still different from web development, which refers to the actual coding that makes a website work. When building a website, you will need web design and web development.
Aspects of Web Design in 2022
When designing a website, modern designers need to consider two overlapping concepts: the overall look of the website and its functionality. The proper connection between these elements will maximize the overall performance and usability of the site, and make it a more memorable design (for all the right reasons).
Let’s break down the features of web design into visual and functional components.
Visual Elements of Web Design
Visual aspects of web design influence the appearance of the design. The various visual components of the design should still follow the basic principles of graphic design. In other words, designers should think about contrast, balance, unity and alignment at the same time. Visual elements of web design include:
- Written copy and fonts: The look of a website and the text on the site often go hand in hand. Designers need to work with content writers to ensure that written copy makes structural sense and uses the right fonts for readability.
- Colours: Colors for web design are usually chosen based on factors such as color psychology, which demonstrates the ability of color to influence how a person feels, and branding. Most brands have specific colors that they use consistently throughout their visual assets; this helps to create a sense of cohesion and unity in the designs.
- Layout and spacing: Layout and spacing influence how content is organized in an app, website or other visual asset. The correct layout helps to create a visual hierarchy, which guides a viewer through a page and draws their attention to the correct information in order. Spacing helps separate components on a page and creates readability.
- Images, icons, and shapes: Images, icons, and shapes help to convey significant amounts of information. The right ideas and icons can reinforce a brand message, get the customer ‘s attention using a web app, and give context to the design.
- Videos and animations: Videos and animation are becoming increasingly popular in today’s web design strategies. Videos can include 360 degree videos, which help immerse one in space, video streams and short clips of content.
Applied Elements of Web Design
Functional aspects in web design are the practical components that designers must consider to ensure that websites and assets work as intended. A website, app or any other web asset must function properly to be accessible to users.
Functional elements of web design may include:
- Navigation: Navigation features of a website or app are among the key components of determining whether a site is functioning properly and ensuring a good user experience. Viewers need to be able to move around the app or website quickly.
- User interactions: Your site visitors may have multiple ways to communicate with your web app or your website, depending on their device. You will need to ensure that people can scroll and swipe on smartphones and tablets and click on desktops. If your website has VR or AR elements, you will also need to consider these immersive components in your design.
- Speed and performance: While web development features can affect the speed or performance of web design, it is also essential for a designer to show that features of the composition do not weigh the functionality. Designs need to load quickly and respond to browser demands on various devices.
- Compatibility: A good design should look perfect on all devices, from a wide range of browsers to the various devices that users can leverage today.
What Does Good Web Design Look Like in 2022?
More than ever, high quality web design is critical to the success of any industry or landscape. More than half of the world’s population is active online. If you do not draw this audience properly, you have unlimited opportunities.
In particular, while aspects of good web design can be subjective, such as the themes or colors one may have on one’s website, strong web design foundations are the same for everyone in 2022 .
Good web design is any design that looks good, works well, and delivers the best possible experience for your target audience. Effective web design should include components such as:
- Effective use of white space for organization and structure.
- Clearly presented options and user navigation options.
- Clear calls to action to drive user activities from one page to another.
- limited distraction and simple user journey.
- No clutter or unnecessary components not related to the needs of the user.
- Responsive, flexible design that is accessible on any browser or device.
- High quality content and images are designed to grab the reader’s attention.
- Appropriate sized fonts and legible typography.
- Good balance between images and text on a page.
Other features like captivating images and professional photography can help your web design stand out. It’s helpful to use the right building blocks, like a solid color palette and the right shapes or icons in your design.
Of course, there is some scope for variety in good web design. A web designer in 2022 must be able to tailor their use of the various essential elements of the design to suit a specific target audience or unique brand identity.
What Doesn’t Your Web Design Work in 2022?
Just as web design features seem to be consistent in every excellent example, there are also parts of web design that we have left over the years. Simpler and simpler designs have replaced cluttered spaces, flashing images, and endless animations.
The focus in 2022 is on creating a simple, engaging and intuitive experience, capable of speaking to the right audience without any confusion or being too simple visually. In most cases, some of the best components to avoid include:
- Gloomy performance: Irresponsible website design, slow pages, and other examples of clunky functionality are not allowed in 2022. Websites must be fast and responsive.
- Highlights: For good reason, flashing images, animations and complex backgrounds. Today’s websites need to be clean, simple and clear. Any elements that do not add value to the design should be removed.
- Generic content: Filler text, irrelevant stock photos, obscure buttons, and links can be removed from today’s website designs. Web design should be specific to the needs of the audience and the brand identity. Generic components do not work.
Creating Web Designs in 2022
Today, there are many similarities between the basic definition of web design and the definition we have already known for several years. There is still a need to focus on user experience, aesthetic appeal and functionality to create a great website or web asset. However, today’s web designers generally have more different components and devices.
Web design in 2022 is about creating quality customer experiences that can support a variety of environments and devices. The best web designs are aesthetically appealing, functionally reliable, and able to keep up with the latest trends in web creation, such as augmented reality, 360-degree video, and ultra-high resolution.
Image featured by Pexels.